Saturday, February 9, 2008

Chinese New Year Fireworks

Four precious days of freedom from school, and it's nearly over!:S



Weird that I should have a longer holiday back home in Malaysia for Chinese New Year than in Hong Kong, where perhaps 99% of the population is Chinese. And CNY is a BIG THING. Everywhere there are discounts, people give angpaus a lot more freely (like to doormen and waitresses and serving people) than back home. Maybe because they don't have as many occasions to be generous as we do.



Last night, I watched the New Year fireworks from my aunt's condo's window. It was in the distance in Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) over the sea by the harbour, but the colours were bright and beautiful and sparkly. The display was long, about 20 minutes in total with musical accompaniment which I heard through the TV which was also on at the same time. Good idea actually, they used many soaring operas that highlighted the waves of fireworks building up to a crescendo-upon which they explode magnificently like a glittery mini-supernova and shower sparks onto the hapless crowd (I think. They might just fall into the sea, frying some poor aquatic creature). Well, it's fireworks, how many designs can they come up with? The ones that expanded in the air to form the letters "2008" were quite impressive though.



It made me wish that when I die, my ashes (after organ donation) could be mixed in with gunpowder and shot into the sky, illuminating the dark sky for a few seconds, shattering the monotony of a weary weeknight. "What's the occasion?" People will ask. And others will shrug. Who knows? But those who did it will remember that this is exactly how I wanted to live my life, and the perfect metaphor for death.



"Better to light a candle than curse the darkness."

No comments: