Monday, October 8, 2007

Of Windows

(No, not Microsoft.):P

Have you ever heard the platitude, "When God closes a door, He opens a window?"

Lately, there's been a lot of doors He's been closing to me. Sometimes I look out at the path wistfully and dream of setting out on it- making plans and foolish hopes- and when I look back at Him, He shakes His head. No. There are better things I have in store for you, my child.

I know He's right, but that doesn't mean my heart doesn't sink...a little. Like a sweet taken from a child. Would You deny me some extra joy in my life, Father?

But then I remember Matthew 7:11:

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

He does not withhold out of spite, out of stinginess, or any of the usual reasons that we hold our prized possessions to ourself. Rather, if doors are closing, there must be a good reason for it.

Lord, open a window for me please, that I do not suffocate in here. And if that is not possible, may you give me the grace to be patient and know that Your plans for me are ultimately good.

No comments: