Sunday, May 20, 2007

Examining my life as a wage worker



This benign, grandfatherly Santa Claus look-a-like would probably not impress you unless you already knew (from diligent study of a History textbook) that he was the Father of Philosophy. He founded the method of enquiry and he never wrote any of his teachings down, leaving the tedious job to his equally outstanding student, Plato.

Yes, this man is the great philosopher Socrates, and he said something that is still relevant to our lives today (actually, many things, but I only want to refer to one today):

"The unexamined life is not worth living."

How true it is! How often do we miss out on important lessons our life and mistakes are trying to teach us, just because we do not reflect on our lives. Working, eating, playing from sun-up till sundown; then collapsing in the bed to sleep...it's important not to let the routine of daily living overwhelm us and make us into automatic androids (alliteration!) who never think beyond the surface of what they're doing.

Thus, I want to take time to categorise the lessons I have learnt from being a wage worker (approx. 1 month 9 days now) that I hope to use in the future.

1. Be honest.

Being honest about your abilities and reasons that you have to take leave and little things like that make you more trusted by your employer. And if there are any things you cannot handle, just ask for help!

2. Punctuality is important.

Hehe. I'm still working on this. First day I was five minutes early, second day I was on time, by the time the fourth week rolled about I was on average a few minutes late;p But I hope to improve.

3. Friendliness reaps rewards.

People are more receptive when you display a genuine interest in them. And it's a nicer atmosphere to work in too.

4. Working is tiring.

Helps me appreciate the years and years of work my parents had to do for the sake of our family. And also strengthens my resolve to become well-educated and qualified and get a job I enjoy so that 1) I will be well-paid for my time and effort, and 2) working is a joy and not a chore.

5. Time is the most important resource you will ever have.

It's so precious indeed. If I was ruler of the world, I would make it so that everyone didn't have to work so much and they could spend more time with their families and do things that truly matter to them. But I can't, so I'll have to settle with spending my time properly and putting the right priorities in place.

And the last thing I can think of for now (take note, this is no reflection on my employers who are really the nicest people, but just my point of view from where I'm standing)...

6. Schooldays really ARE the best days of your life.

:)

No comments: