Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Birthday Post with a trip down MGS memory lane

This is the first time I'm doing this, so be honoured.

__________

You were the smart kid with round glasses in Form 1, a year younger than to the rest of us. Always sticking with Tsuey Xin and people you knew from primary school. I don't remember it all so well now, but I'll always remember that you stuck a "No Parking" sign on the chair when Ms. Chong (am I right?) came into class, and she sat on it without looking. You couldn't restrain your giggles.


In Form 2 you suddenly sprouted and I found myself having to look up at you (oh the shame...). As time went by, we continued being friends though not very very close. And in Form 3, we were all part of the big gang (the cool one, at least we thought so) that had so much fun in 3 Hornbill, that strangely-named class.

I seem to recall us getting closer in Form 4, what with having so many activities in common (prefects, CF, GB, Celcom...) and your leadership qualities started to bloom. We had a lot of fun that year. Frustration too. I have fond memories of going to your place, your mother's excellent sandwiches, laughing, watching Veggietales (or was that Form 5)? Good times.

Form 5 was a great year: less stressful in many ways than Form 4, and we became much closer then. You always provided a unique perspective to whatever issue we talked about, and was always so practical and matter-of-fact. I liked that I could discuss just about anything with you, and you spoke with windows and doors open - nothing to hide.

I hope you know, and anyway I'm telling you now, how great a help you were with CF and all the other stuff we had to do. And I enjoyed those discussions we had about God, His nature, our struggles and everything under the sun.

Since we left school, I'm really glad that this friendship hasn't withered; that though we rarely ever see each other we still can talk as frankly to each other and share each other's joys and worries. Though I don't know every little detail thats happening in your life and you, mine; I trust that when there's something big, there is a friend I have that I can share with and be sure that she will do anything she can to help and support me.

I appreciate you as a friend so much, Jobo (and JLoh and Joanna and all the weirder names we've called you over the years). I appreciate your intelligence and how more and more, its being accompanied with wisdom (James 3:13, v 17). I appreciate the fact that though you're forthright by nature (which is quite rare in our education system anyways), you've learned that tact can get better results sometimes. I appreciate that you stand up for what you believe in, that you have fears but are honest enough to admit them. That you wrestle with doubts instead of stuffing them into a corner. That you have an incredible sense of humour, albeit with cutting sarcasm sometimes (but so much less now, but not so little that it's too politically-correct).

Most of all, I appreciate how much you've grown as a person, how much you've matured (cliched word for growing up but quite appropriate) and how your rougher edges have been smoothened, your words become gentler and more thoughtful. I can see how God has worked in your life in the past year or so and I hope it's an encouragement to you, that though you may fail sometimes, you are being transformed into His image more and more.

Have a wonderful (belated) birthday and may this year be one of great joy and discovery, of boundless love, of peace, of fulfilling friendship, of all-consuming passion and purpose to live each day like you may never get one again.

Happy birthday, Joanna Loh Bao-Ern.

P.S. Should have been posted on 19/3, but I just crossed the deadline by 59 minutes!

3 comments:

couchpotato said...

hey thanks man... what you said really encouraged me- especially now. anyway yes yes offline message me ok... i'll start it off

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Monitor de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://monitor-de-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Tea-puller said...

1) Sure Jo!!! Glad you like it. I just reread it, its really long, so cheong hei hor? I can't offline msg you now for some reason...I'll try again...

2) No offence, your blog has only one entry. On a Samsung monitor. In Spanish. Me no comprendre.